Weekend baking atleast for me is a great stress reliever. But as far as my kids are concerned I am happy that they snack on homemade goodies throughout the week.
When blog-hopping I found this excellent simple cake from CreampuffsinVenice. I love this site and am a regular reader.The fabulous pics and the luscious writing are very refreshing. How much ever cakes I make my younger one loves plain vannila stuff as she is yet to become big to munch on nuts or other additions. This cake was a big hit at home and since I baked it 3 weeks back I have made them 4 times till now! Real hit isn’t it ? Its a buttermilk cake but the variations I made are as below:
1. I skipped the syrup part and the following *grated zest of an orange *2 tbsp. Grand Marnier
2. And substituted canola oil with same amount of melted butter
3. Since I do not have cake flour substituted with the same amount of corn flour
This is a very moist and soft cake and tastes best with tea or coffee. Above all its a kids favorite. Then I baked some French butter cookies from JoyofBaking.
The variations I made are :
1. Added a cup full of powdered cashew. It brought the taste near to Nankhattai.
2. Added some chocolate chips to the second part of the dough for a variation.
And the “Brinjal Kunukku” from theyumblog turned out to be an excellent evening snack with a hot cup of tea. I could take pics of the cookies alone which I am posting here.